Friday, May 11, 2012

Astrology, Window Art & Loreal Prystaj

Most people know their Sun sign, which correlates to the day and month they were born. I'm an Aries, a fire sign, but aside from loving to start new things and being impulsive (when I want something I want it now!), little else about me fits the Aries profile. There is absolutely nothing adventurous about me and while I like red, I don't wear it very often. I am much more like my Ascendant sign, Scorpio, a water sign, which was rising on the eastern horizon at the moment of my birth. I come across rather shy and reserved, a bit secretive, empathetic, and can solve most mysteries long before any clues are given.

These two signs help describe the multifaceted aspects of our personalities. The Ascendant sign is our persona. It is the image that faces outward, how the world sees us, that first impression. Our Sun sign is our ego or inner being, who we are when we are not surrounded by others. Together, these signs represent both our public and private selves.

Often this public vs private, inner vs outer aspects of astrology, as strange as it might seem, comes to mind whenever I encounter great window displays, either in the malls, which I don't do often, or while walking the streets of the city.

This happens because I first see the actual physical glass that separates us from the story being told, of mannequins and props and the psychology of merchandise being sold. Then there's the play of reflection, of ourselves and outside structures, on the window's surface, creating a 'reality vs fantasy' world and the barriers between them.

I know some of you are saying..."hey it's a plastic model, just a dress, a purse, a pair of shoes... what reflections... what worlds?" Okay, at times that's all it is, a dress, a purse, some shoes, but there's so much more  when you're talking about great window design like the ones seen last month at Daffy's in Philadelphia, at the corner of 17th and Chestnut Streets, based on the theme of Alice in Wonderland.




The concept for these windows comes from the work of artist Loreal Prystaj.
Here are a few of her images.



I was amazed to learn that Loreal is a student!!! She's attending FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology) in NYC, loves being in the city, and will be graduating with a BFA degree in 2013. I truly expected her to be someone long into a career of Photography, not one only begun in 2008!

Here is her self portrait along with her thoughts on photography and work.


"Reality is perception, and my perception of the world around me becomes reality through my photography. I find myself creating illusions in my head; I am the only one who knows exactly what is on my mind, and I have become part of my own masterpieces to fulfill my imagination".

"I shoot almost 24/7... mostly personal work, not school work. I do well in school, but care much more about, and make it first priority, to do my own work".

Loreal recently celebrated a birthday. She's an Aries-Taurus Cusp sharing a bit of both signs which explains her great drive and energy towards her work (Aries ruled by Mars), and her appreciation of beauty and a tenacity to see things through to completion (Taurus, an earth sign, ruled by Venus)... great attributes for any artist who works 24/7!

To see more of Loreal's wonderful photography visit her website here.

And for more great window displays from our friends in the UK go here and here and here.

If any of this post has sparked your interest in astrology, try Astrodienst for a free natal chart and daily horoscopes based on your personal birth info here.

And for my favorite horoscope guru, astrologer and quasi-psychologist check out Rob Brezsny of Free Will Astrology who describes what he does as "predicting the present, not forecasting the future". Get your weekly horoscope and his free newsletter here.

So who are YOU? What personality traits do you 'display' or hide within? 

Have you ever purchased an item because you saw it in a store window? What did you buy and was it worth the impulse?

Talk to me... back in two weeks for my next post.




1 comment:

  1. I too have a thing for reflections and windows.
    The overlay of images, suggests the complex nature of everyday moments.
    I believe our minds tend to isolate individual events, while in a more holistic sense there are so many factors in the big picture.

    ReplyDelete